Upgrading of LNG terminal, Milford Haven
At Milford Haven an existing LNG terminal and jetty is extended, refurbished and upgraded for large LNG carriers. Volker Stevin Construction Europe (VSCE) is the contractor for the marine structures. The design of this part of the project has been executed by Lievense for VSCE.
The works included a new unloading platform, new mooring and breasting dolphins, new catwalks, and refurbishment and strengthening of existing trestle
The specific challenges included: stability of moored vessels, earthquake design, piling in rock, higher loads on old structures. Through inventive engineering methods the construction costs were minimised, by maximising the use of existing structures.
The challenges required extensive and complicated 3D finite element modelling, including dynamic models for seismic analysis.
- study mooring configurations waves, stream and wind
- seismic analysis
- check of existing marine structures
- design of refurbishment and strengthening existing marine structures
- final design marine structures
- advise on construction methods
- detailed design marine structures
- construction drawings
- material specifications
- verification of suppliers documents